Thursday, May 14, 2009

Theme Thursday - (Wh)oops!

Theme Thursday - (Wh)oops!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Decided to get back to horror films with this week's theme, and one of the biggest 'whoops!' in horror movies has to be the incident at the heart of "The Fly".

The basic premise, if you don't know, is that a scientist has created a machine that can disintegrate something and reintegrate it in a different place, basically like the transporters from "Star Trek".

But the 'whoops' comes when he attempts to transport himself from one pod to the other. He steps in and closes the door, unaware that a tiny housefly has entered the pod with him.

Depending on the version of the story, the fly and himself appear at the other end with some parts mixed up, or the machine combines them both into one new man/fly entity.

Either way - WHOOPS!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The short story was originally written by George Langelaan, and was published in the June, 1957 issue of Playboy magazine.

PB - Fly

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was made into a movie in 1958, The Fly starring Vincent Price, Al Hedison, Patricia Owens and Herbert Marshall. Price didn't play the ill-fated scientist, but instead played the role of his brother, who must trick his sister-in-law into telling him the story of what happened.

Fly1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This film was followed by Return of the Fly (with Vincent Price reprising his role) in 1959 and Curse of the Fly in 1965.

Photobucket Fly3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In 1986, David Cronenberg did a remake of the movie, also calling it "The Fly". This film starred Jeff Goldblum, Geena Davis and John Getz. The improved effects of the time made for a more believable, albeit nasty looking, man/fly hybrid.

Fly4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This film was a success, and spawned a sequel as well, "The Fly II", in 1989, starring Eric Stoltz and Daphne Zuniga.

Fly5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In 2008, Howard Shore's The Fly: The Opera premiered in Paris, France, loosely based on the 1986 David Cronenberg film. Interesting, to say the least.

Fly6

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Given Hollywood's current love of remakes, I am sure a new version of "The Fly" will be hitting theaters soon!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the very cool trailer for the original 1958 film:



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

26 comments:

  1. i never saw the fly. horror movies and i don't do well together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Fly is one of my favs with all versions getting my thumbs up. And I too always had a problem with a machine that breaks down and re-assembles atoms but can't tell human from fly. You would think that would be the first line of code in the program. But then again I would love to add a kitty to my first teleportaion. KITTYMAN RULES!

    ReplyDelete
  3. eeeeewwww--the fly was very scary and yes, a major oops--great post -c

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! Yes, The Fly is a very disgusting movie...but in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen all the versions...one of the perks of being old. Yes, there are scientific breaks where the mind must suspend belief in theory for enjoyment of the story, but it is worth it.

    Since the newest re-make was done over 20 years ago, I'll bet a current cover would be WAY better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll take your word(s) for it - I never made it through any of the versions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. sometimes the whoops seems to be the continued sequel-ization into absurdity. the fly was pretty good though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of them were scarey. I try to not watch horror movies anymore. But I love mysteries.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yeah that movie is a must-seen!
    Actually it's a long time I haven't seen it,I might watch it again soon.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw the original years ago, but couldn't watch the Goldblum version (not because of Jeff). I hate flies. Same reason I didn't see Amityville Horror.

    I didn't know the film was based on a story that was published in Playboy, nor did I know that Howard Shore (ex Lighthouse, I believe) has done an opera. I suppose if The Phantom can be an opera, then why not, The Fly?

    Great post - I really enjoyed it!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Imagine on planet fly just how many "The Human" versions there are!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is indeed a quintessential OOPS moment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This little Whoops made a big ripple in the movies. Great take on TT.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked the original films better! Sorry, I guess I just can't get into most remakes. Then again, seeing it as an opera....interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haven't seen "The Fly" but will see if I can find a copy of it somewhere :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved Vincent Price and the old version is fantastically corny but my love affair with Geoff Goldblum started with the Fly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wasn't there an old woman who swallowed a fly to catch that spider that wiggled inside her!!

    great take on the theme....no kidding that was a big whoops....

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the Jeff Goldblum "Brundlefly" character!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't do horror films either, but I'm a Jeff Goldblum fan, so I did watch The Fly, and I enjoyed it - in a disgusted sort of way. Good choice of subject.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great subject.

    I forgot about "Curse of the Fly."

    Ah, yes, Al Hedison, later known as David Hedison on TV's "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea."

    Saw Mr. Price on a talk show in the '70s saying they had problems publicizing the first film: "The Fly opens tonight!"

    ReplyDelete
  21. i dont know any of these movies but turning a man into a fly/man is a definite oops

    thanks for visiting my place

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jaime: The 80s remake is much 'gorier' than the original.

    Calvin: Kittyman would make an interesting comic, in book or strip form!

    C.M.: Thanks!

    Tom: Definitely in a good way!

    Ronda: Yeah, with lots of fiction you just gotta enjoy the ride. :)

    Ravyn: hahahah - yeah, not your cup of tea!

    Brian: Yeah, they can sometimes grind something down to the bones, sequel-wise.

    Mrsupole: Thanks for checking it out, anyway!

    Candie: I might, too!

    Poetikat: Thank you very much! :)

    VE: THAT is an intersting thought!

    Leah: Most definitely!

    Kurt: hahaha - I should have included that line in the post somewhere! DOH!

    Liza: Yeah, it has been reused and parodied quite a lot since then.

    subtorp: I guess each film or generation has it's fans like any other. :)

    Dot-Com: Cool! Bet you like it!

    Baino: Two great, yet vastly different, actors, for sure!

    mouse: Very cute! :) Thanks!

    Otin: Goldblum was made for that role, I think.

    Sandra: Are you watching him on "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" now?

    Silver Fox: VERY cool quote, had never heard that one before. I loved Vincent Price.

    Kylie: And thanks for visiting mine!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great take on the theme. Whoops, I reckon!Loved the trailer, too. If Vincent's scared, I'm scared! Of course, I've seen the flic, but never that trailer. Kinda makes me want to watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A.Decker: Yeah, I do, too! I keep hoping TCM adds it to their lineup!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the Fly/Transporter plot!
    "No Fly's On Me" He Cried!

    ReplyDelete