Monday, October 15, 2012

The Munsters

On October 26th, NBC is airing the failed pilot for
The Munsters reboot, Mockingbird Lane.

I had high hopes for this show.
The person behind this reimagining, Bryan Fuller,
was the brains behind the awesome, yet short-lived, Pushing Daisies.
NBC reportedly put about $10 million into this production.

But once I saw some pictures, I was disappointed.
Sometimes, change just for the sake of change is not good.


However, the day after I wrote the above, 
NBC released this trailer/promo for the one-shot special:



Well.
I think I would have liked seeing what this new take on
The Munsters would have been like.
Funny how 30 odd seconds can intrigue you!
Ah, well...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But, I love The Munsters,
so let's see what I can find to share with you here!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did you know The Munsters theme song had lyrics?


When you are walking the street at night,
And behind you there's no-one in view.
But you hear mysterious feet at night,
Then the Munsters are following you.

If you should meet this strange family,
Just forget what some people have said.
The Munsters may shake your hand clammily,
But they're not necessarily dead.

Behind their house you mustn't be afraid
To see a figure digging with a spade,
Perhaps someone didn't quite make the grade
With the Munsters, with the Munsters.

If when you're sleeping you dream a lot,
Ghoulish nightmares parade thru your head.
And then you wake up and scream a lot
Oh, the Munsters are under your bed.

At midnight if creatures should prowl about,
And if vampires and vultures swoop down,
And werewolves and fiends shriek and howl about,
Well, the Munsters are out on the town.

One night I dared peek thru their window screen.
My hair turned white at such a crazy scene
Because every evening is Halloween,
At the Munsters, at the Munsters.

I like it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's a Hollywood Backstage visit on the set of Munster, Go Home!
the 1966 theatrical film based on the show.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In 1988, The Munsters were back,
with a new show in syndication:



I remember watching this show back then.
Wasn't as great as the original, but it was
fun, silly, brain candy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will end with this beautiful Munsters art, 
by Arnold Kohn, for Whitman Publications:



You can read more about this piece at
Frankensteinia, The Frankenstein Blog

8 comments:

  1. thank you for the extreme... on the munsters, though the reboot looks awful from any aspect. didn't they learn from wonder woman, knight rider or bionic woman... oh wait they did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, some remakes work. Some don't. We might never know for sure about this one. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. The Munsters was the perfect show for a kid. I remember being so excited to see the live action movie IN COLOR of all things. Who knew Herman was green? And that race car scene? You reminded me I have to go to the download file.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember watching the movie sometimes on Saturday or Sunday afternoons. I think they played it as past of Creature Double Feature sometimes. Fun stuff!

      Delete
  3. Cool post. I too loved the Munsters....very sad to here that the new show did not make it.

    Lyric? Wow, had no idea. Thanks for sharing.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a little hesitant about the "new" Munster show too... I think I'll go watch the old ones for Nostalgia sake :)

    ReplyDelete