Monday, May 9, 2011

Day 09: A movie that you like to introduce to people

Spider Baby from 1968!


This is a movie I hadn't heard of until a few years ago when TCM Underground played it

On the first viewing, I wasn't sure how to feel. It was so much better than I had been prepared for!

So, I waited and watched it again. And I loved it.

It isn't your typical scary movie, but it has its creepy, unsettling moments and the basic plot is one of despair and sadness. Every member of the Merrye family faces a tragic fate and there isn't anything they can do about it.

Lon Chaney Jr. gives one of the best performances of his career here, as the man who has made it his life work to take care of the Merrye "children" and make sure they live a life that is free from ridicule and institutionalization. But it isn't easy for him, as these "kids" are handful!

If you haven't seen this one, find it. It is on Netflix Instant right now, so what are you waiting for? GO!

Here is the Official Site for Spider Baby

1 comment:

  1. Okay....with a title like that there is no suprise I have not seen it. But I will give it a try...I love Lon Chaney (jr) movies. Thanks for the heads up.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete