Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday the 13th - Jason is back!

So... I watched all the previous films over the past week, from the original all the way to "Freddy vs. Jason". I watched both discs of the "His Name Was Jason" documentary. And today, with my wife, my brother and my sister-in-law, I saw the newest film.

I liked it. I didn't LOVE it, but I didn't HATE it, either. It had a very cool opening, with a bunch of kills before the title even hit the screen. And the rest was good, Jason-killing slasher fun.

All the "Jason film" elements are present: teenagers; the woods; the lake; sex; nudity; weapons and Jason. Each film is just a different way of putting it all together, I suppose. To differing results.

Little things here and there bugged me, but other things I thought were cool. Evens out, I suppose. No movie can be perfect for every fan everywhere. Just not possible. Some kills I thought were cool and different, others run-of-the-mill.

The way he gets the hockey mask was a bit "blah" to me. Thought they could have made it's introduction a little "cooler". But that is nothing major.

The ending-leading-up-to-the-ending (you will understand when you see it) was a little "what the?", really. I mean... WHY would they do that??? But, it is what it is.

So fans will LOVE it, some will HATE it. I like it, which is all that matters. I will watch it again. And again. Hey, I am just happy to have Jason back on the big screen. And in the end, that is what matters.

Next time I have a movie marathon, I will have 12 movies to watch! Wow... And, that makes Jason's next foray to the screen his 13th appearance. Not sure when that will be, but I am sure it will happen. And how cool is that? I remember when I was a kid, all the other kids saying that the "Jason movies" were going to go to 13 parts. Now, really no one ever said such a thing, they were always a film-to-film proposition. But here we are on the cusp of there actually being 13 films. Now THAT will be a marathon, some day!

Welcome back, Jason!

3 comments:

  1. I loved this movie but it did ruin my life as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Wings!

    As for the sequel - Rumor has it that one is in the works, to be released next year, on August 13th - I do not know if this is true, but if it is, I'll be there! :-)

    ReplyDelete