Friday, July 10, 2009

Change??? Ah, Beans...

So I wake up today and find my wife has placed a napkin at the base of my coffee maker, to absorb the slowly, yet increasingly frequent, dripping brew.

Not good. Not good at all.

I had known my faithful friend was declining, but I was in denial. Who ever wants to admit when something so important and loved is reaching it's end? Not I.

My wife had mentioned buying a new one several times, but I was always sure I could make it last. Cleaning it, fiddling with it, trying to keep the aging process at bay.

However, the dripping and sad loss of valuable, delicious, life-affirming coffee increased in frequency and was now, in fact, continuous.

Alas, the end was inevitable.

Old Coffee Pot

Good-bye, my friend.

It's been a good ride.

Of course, the only way I would truly let this vital appliance leave our home is if there was a rookie waiting in the wings.

New Coffee Pot

Welcome.

I'm sure this is the start of a beautiful friendship.

Your first shift starts at 0600 hours. Let's see what you've got.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And since I am doing a coffee-themed post,
I will include a list sent to me by my daughter:

YOU KNOW YOU'RE ADDICTED TO COFFEE WHEN:

-You've built a miniature city out of little plastic stirrers.

-People get dizzy just watching you.

-Instant coffee takes too long.

-You channel surf faster without a remote.

-You have a picture of your coffee mug on your coffee mug.
(my favorite)

-You can outlast the Energizer bunny.

-You short out motion detectors.

-You don't even wait for the water to boil anymore.

-Your nervous twitch registers on the Richter scale.

-You help your dog chase its tail.

-You soak your dentures in coffee overnight.

-Your first-aid kit contains two pints of coffee with an I.V. hookup.

-You ski uphill.

-You get a speeding ticket even when you're parked.

-You answer the door before people knock.

-You haven't blinked since the last lunar eclipse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And how cool is this?

Single Cup Maker

The WMF1 Coffee Pad is a single-serve coffee maker that uses a ceramic mug in place of the carafe. Great for cubicles or whatever small space you need a coffee-maker in. Which is anywhere. Right?

This item is from Europe and won it's creators an award in 2007.

Thanks to technabob.

14 comments:

  1. I had a favorite lighter once... that was a sad day.

    I'm gonna cry now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your new coffee maker. I never could stand the taste of it but I love the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been a fan of coffee having gotten sick on a bottomeless cup while sitting in a 24 hr restaurant waiting for a ride. But I had a father who knew more about coffee than a person had any right too. He treated his coffee maker like you would an artificial heart and would die a little each time one had to be replaced. He could tell by smell what part of the world the beans he ground came from. Gotta admire someone who chooses to know all he can about something he loves. Here's hopin the rookie is up to the task.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is certainly very very cool.

    so - have you built such a miniature city? and can we please see pics of it?

    I hope the newbie settles in well

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're weird, Dad.












    Hehe, I sent that list! I feel so special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA! Great list! Maybe I should cut back...nah...I had an el cheapo one; lasted barely 7 months :( The "new" one I've had going on three years( the really older one lasted over 10! )Maybe if I cleaned it once in a while-LOL! And does that one cuppa maker have a 12-volt adapter? Be perfect for the car!

    ReplyDelete
  7. my name is brian miller and i am an addict...so sad the death of a good friend. we have one of the stations you seem to be passing, love it. i had best go check its pulse now.

    the single cup one looks really cool. but i can't stop at just one and would probably wear it out quick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My coffee makers always leak on the countertop; it's a pain having to babysit your coffeemaker--i guess that's why i usually drink tea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't had 'dripolator' coffee for ever. We tend to use a plunger but with the advent of the'home office' I'm under EXTREME pressure to buy an Espresso Machine . . hmmmm . . coffeeeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, I hate coffee. And tea.

    What's the draw of them?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeff: Sometimes the pain of loss burns. Okay, that was bad...

    Dr. Monkey: What? I don't understand those words in that configuration.

    Cal: Your dad continues to climb in levels of respect.

    lettuce: No, that I have not done. :)

    Nicole: Heh. Thanks for the send. :)

    subtorp: We shall never be without coffee again!

    Brian: Yeah, I make a pot a day, myself. And as for the previous maker I had, it was great, until it started dripping. The carafe won't have that problem!

    Tom: Tea? Ack... No thank you!

    Baino: I remember when drip coffee was "new"! hahahaha

    Zac: Silly young man. Coffee is life. Life is coffee. Simple.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had it with coffee makers. Know what I do? I got one of those cone-shaped strainers, and I balance it over a coffee mug using an empty coffee can with both ends cut off. I put in a filter (they're really cheap), put in some ground coffee, pour boiling water, and voila. If you have a gas stove, you don't even need electricity. Imagine that. That reminds me, do you have any percolators? Do they still make them?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mr. Beautiful: Oh yeah, my parents used to have the percolator. Not sure if they still make them, but I am sure people still prefer them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That coffee pad thing is pretty. A single coffee usually isn't enough, but it'd be nice to just have around to spruce up the look of the office.

    ReplyDelete