Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Toodles

My daughter sent me the following cartoon:

Pearls Before Swine

click to enlarge

I love it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And it made me think of this man and his wife, who made the news earlier this month:

A renowned British conductor and his wife have died in the assisted suicide clinic Dignitas, their family said.

Sir Edward Downes, 85, was almost blind when he and his 74-year-old wife Joan travelled to Switzerland to end their lives, a family statement released to the BBC said.

...

The statement, released by their son and daughter, Caractacus and Boudicca, said the couple died on July 10 "under circumstances of their own choosing" after a struggle with serious health problems.

It said: "After 54 happy years together they decided to end their own lives rather than continue to struggle with serious health problems.

"They died peacefully and under circumstances of their own choosing, with the help of the Swiss organisation Dignitas in Zurich."


Click here for story, via The Press Association.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope I have that freedom, when my time comes.

I want to make that choice for my own life and it's end. I want to be able to decide if I have had enough. And I hope that my family is as supportive as the children mentioned above.

I want to decide when my time is up. Not someone else who wants to push their views or beliefs onto everyone else.

In the future, I hope this becomes legal in the USA and that we would have this choice in my own country.

But, if need be, I will be more than happy to take a nice, final flight to Switzerland.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11 comments:

  1. Bah. Just call me. I'll handle it... we'll even make it worthy of a horror movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caractacus and Boudicca???? Are you freakin kidding me? K..that is just abuse. Name your kids that and spend your life avoiding their desire to murder you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like an earlier Pearls 'toon. Too funny. Pig's comedic relief is a riot! And yeah, if I have the choice. I mean, why prolong the inevitable? There's enough suffering...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are absolutely right!This is part of freedom too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wings, I think about these things. I have a friend who's a vet. It's all sorted *touches two fingers to side of nose* but if it goes pear shaped, my kids are under strict instructions to ship me to Switzerland for a glass of Billecart Salmon and a green dream! Seriously, it's that simple! (Caracatus reminds me of a Rolf Harris song . . .)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes. one day, i hope to retire to a cabin in the woods where i can die at peace surounded by those that love me and i them. in the time of our choosing. enjoy the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems so simple - the ability to choose how and if to end your life. Ah religion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No worries - I'll make sure your wishes are fulfilled. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. well said Wings. a bit morbid (hope everything is okay) but i get where you're coming from.

    people ask why i still smoke (10 cig a day habit down from a pack and 1/2 a day) and i always tell them "i want to avoid the shitting in my pants and not knowing where stage of my golden years." when Kavorkian can do his thing i'll get the patch and chew the nic gum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you say "Let's take a vacation to Switzerland!" I'm not coming. XD




    Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeff: Sounds like a plan.

    Cal: Hahaha! Too funny.

    subtorp: Definitely.

    Candie: I agree!

    Baino: Sounds good to me! :)

    Brian: A cabin in the woods sounds even more relaxing. :)

    Kate: It should be simple though, really.

    Ravyn: Thank you. :)

    wiec?: I agree with you completely. Enjoy your life while you have it. And no worries, for me at least, right now. :)

    Nicole: Hah! No worries, I won't bug those who don't want to be bugged about it. ;)

    ReplyDelete