Monday, January 18, 2010

Movie Monday - The House on Sorority Row

House on Sorority Row

The House on Sorority Row (1983)

[Kate McNeil; Eileen Davidson; Janis Ward; Robin Meloy; Harley Jane Kozak; Jodi Draigie; Ellen Dorsher; Lois Kelso Hunt]

Plot: After a confrontation with their housemother, seven sorority sisters plot revenge -- which leads to an accidental death. Despite the girls' efforts to cover up their crime, they find themselves targeted by someone -- or something -- who knows what they did. Directed by Mark Rosman.

I wasn't expecting much out of this early-80s horror flick. I had mentally shrugged it off as one of the low-budget, cheesy flicks that came out with dozens of others in the slasher heyday.

But I was pleasantly surprised. Is it a great film? No, but it isn't all that bad, either. I, for one, have sat through much, MUCH worse.

The plot is simple but intriguing enough to keep your interest and the acting is good enough. The dubbed-over voice of the housemother is a bit weird, but otherwise it is well done. And the mystery of just who is doing the killing is interesting. The eventual reveal is a bit far-fetched, but it was the early 80s.

When all is said and done, it is a good flick for horror or slasher fans, without a doubt. Nothing spectacular, but also nothing crap-tastic.

This film was recently remade as Sorority Row (2009). I haven't seen that flick, but I am curious now. Interesting to see whether it improves on this one or makes it shine even more.

4 comments:

  1. intriguing. sometimes its those that offer little flash, but little crap that are just the thing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really got into that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a movie I will check out. Not into slasher films but it sounds intriguing. Also, loved your answers to the meme in the previous post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed, I think this receives a lot of flack, but I have always liked it a lot. It is just so 80s, so perfectly 80s. I dont mind that it is bloodless for the most part either, as I find the characters to be interesting enough to hold me in there

    ReplyDelete