Monday, January 25, 2010

Movie Monday - Hobson's Choice

Hobson's Choice

Hobson's Choice (1954)

[Charles Laughton; John Mills; Brenda De Banzie; Daphne Anderson; Prunella Scales]

Plot: In this domestic comedy directed by David Lean, boozy widower Henry Hobson runs a successful boot shop in Victorian England. He dominates his employees and his three daughters, but when his eldest, Maggie, and his assistant, Willie, marry and set up a rival business, Hobson must change his autocratic ways. Hobson's Choice garnered several British Academy Award nominations, taking the prize for Best Film.

I DVR'd this film on the recommendation of Ivan from Thrilling Days of Yesteryear. I am so glad I did. It is a great movie, more than a 'just' a comedy.

The relationship between Maggie and Willie is what drew me in. It is all business at first, but their relationship grows and love develops as both of their characters develop. So well done, so well acted. Just a really wonderful movie.

Highly recommended, not just for fans of 'old movies', but for viewers looking for a great film.


this isn't a trailer, this is the film's opening

7 comments:

  1. Oh I love me some Charles Laughton - Mutiny on the Bounty is one of my all time favorite books and movies. It was one of the first books my Dad gave me and I so remember early one Saturday morning in the days before infomercials when the late late late show carried the movie. I annoyed my sister for years by calling her "Mr Christian and proclaiming her actions to be mutinous". I haven't seen this one but I will now that I know about it. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't see this one either...but I thought it sounded familiar (the title) then I realized it must be because of Butch Hobson - the hotness that used to be 3rd baseman for the Sox. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Wings,
    I have not watched Hobson's Choice yet, but it's on my list of films to check out. Due to all the talk in the blogosphere about every film...over the moon and under the sun.
    Thanks, for sharing!
    DeeDee ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, How did you transfer your followers from your previous blog to this blog?
    Because when I changed my template I lost some followers.
    Thanks,
    DeeDee ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. intriguing. have never seen this one. have to check at the library...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laughton is fantastic...hope this one comes to cable soon; I've not heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love old black and white films. If one is on TV, then forget about everything else. Looking forward to checking this one out.

    ReplyDelete