Monday, February 15, 2010

Movie Monday - Fermat's Room

Fermat's Room

La habitación de Fermat {aka Fermat's Room} (2007)

Plot: Four mathematicians who do not know each other are invited by a mysterious host on the pretext of resolving a great enigma. The room in which they find themselves turns out to be a shrinking room that will crush them if they do not discover in time what connects them all and why someone might wish to murder them.

This is a suspenseful thriller of a movie that kept me guessing until the end. Sort of a brainiac-thriller, since riddles or 'enigmas' are the keys used to stop the room from shrinking. But the interconnection between the main characters is much more puzzling than these problems, and may very well be their downfall.

Great movie, well acted and directed. It is a Spanish film, with English subtitles. I wonder how long it will be before someone decides it 'needs' to be remade with an American cast? Not needed, in my opinion. Although a spoof-version done with the cast of The Big Bang Theory might be fun!

Recommended for fans of tense thrillers, but you have to be open to reading subtitles and paying attention throughout.

This is a film I stumbled upon thanks to the great About.com: Horror Movies Airing on TV.

4 comments:

  1. Cool. I think you've recommended this to me before, but I haven't had a chance to see it. Will do so.

    AND YOU NEED TO GO SEE AVATAR IN 3-D!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love foreign made suspense movies. I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Immediately though of Pi, sounds like a lot of fun to me Wings!

    ReplyDelete