Monday, October 25, 2010

Heartstopper

HeartStopper


Heartstopper (2006)

Directed by: Bob Keen

Written by: Vlady Pildysh and Warren P. Sonoda

Starring: Meredith Henderson; Nathan Stephenson; James Binkley; Michael Cram; Robert Englund; Laura DeCarteret

Plot: Two hospitalized young people discover that things can get even worse when the dilapidated institution is stranded by a severe storm and a maniac stalks the corridors butchering the patients and staff.

I turned this one on the other night, expecting nothing more than a bad, low-budget mish-mash. I was happily surprised.

Not the most epic of films, but also not trying to be, this is a small film that feels contained and almost claustrophobic, much like the characters feel in the hospital.

The story is standard horror fare: an unstoppable killer with supernatural attributes and the normal people falling like toys around him. Yet the acting (including a good guy role played by horror icon Englund), writing and directing rise above the level of the usual low-budget stuff, showing promise for all involved. Too many times, films like this feel slap-dash and rushed, and this one didn't. I felt the time and care put into it. To me, this goes a long way towards forgiving a film its small flaws.

The only real gripe I have is with Binkley, the actor chosen to play the killer Chambers. Physically, he fits the brute killer role perfectly, but acting-wise, I felt like he didn't quite pull it together, too stilted for my taste. But, a minor gripe for a small movie like this.

Definitely recommended for horror/slasher fans.

3 comments:

  1. Damn, that looks like a fun flick. I just put it in my queue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks scary. I am such a wuss that I would need to see it in the daytime. Goes to show that you don't need alot of money to make a scary movie. The first SAW and the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD are proof of that statement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive passed this one over COUNTLESS times because of the cover, but to Netflix I shall go!

    ReplyDelete